3/02/2010

Thing #2

After reading the 7 1/2 Habits of a Lifetime Learner, I have to agree that I am a lifetime learner. I love to discover new things. I feel like if I haven't done anything intellectual in a while then my brain may deteriorate. Coming from being a 1st/ 2nd grade teacher to a middle school librarian, I found myself trying to learn as much as I could about the different levels I was teaching. The longer I taught 1st grade, the more I found out that I knew nothing. I then made it my goal to learn as much as I could about how those delicate little brains work (and I'm not just talking about the babies).

Learning on your own can sometimes be frustrating and rewarding. Habit 3: Seeing problems as challenges is an easy habit I feel I have developed. No matter how difficult an assignment is to me, I feel so good when I have worked through the problem. I just feel like I need to share the information with someone else. Living by Habit 5: Creating my own toolbox of what I need to reach my learning goal is sometimes frustrating. Learning technology can be difficult sometimes especially when you don't have all the tools you need to learn what you want. Some software may be too expensive or time is a tool that is needed which is hard to come by at times. A major issue is not having anyone else around to help you with any problems you might have. I have begun to join different technology groups in hopes to find people who are working on some of the same things I am working on. I figure we can help each other learn the material.


When it comes to learning, I feel like I possess most of the habits. I know going back to school is a challenge I feel it's going to be an interesting journey.

2 comments:

  1. This adventure will give you plenty of opportunity to fill up your toolbox with all kinds of useful 2.0 technology and will afford many opportunities to learn from others who are also playing with the tools! If you hit a rough spot, check out what others have said about it in their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping a blog helps me reflect on what I am struggling with and what I am learning. Reading other blogs helps me see how others are solving problems and discovering new things. It is comforting to be part of a community working together to make schools a better place.

    ReplyDelete